Roz Mackay

Roz Mackay

Urbanity the Hair Salon

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Don't Fret. Your 30's-40's are your new 20's!

Celebrate Your Age!

     Any woman can be a trend setter, career women, wife, girlfriend, or mother. In fact, they can be all of the above! 


   I may still be in my twenties but I know what I am talking about. Gorgeous women sit down in my chair and hate who they see in the mirror. They say " I need a change, an update... make me beautiful again!".  I can assure you all of these women are beautiful. A new hairstyle can only enhance this beauty. We are only as old as we feel.  I feel that optimism and happiness exude youth and attractiveness!


   Hair and fashion should be about having fun and/or enhancing what you already naturally have. As we increase in age, or responsibilities seem to correspond. I know I get in the routine of go, go, go. I find it extremely hard to step out and take a pause. I think it is always important to take those few minutes for yourself. Even if its just to get your hair done or go to the gym. I always enjoy a peaceful and grounding yoga class!


   An old boyfriend of mine used to watch me get ready and say " Why do you need to put on make up and spend so much time on your hair, you are beautiful just as you are." Where I always reply " Because it's fun and I enjoy the time I spend on myself!". So whether its 5 minutes or 50 minutes make sure to have fun being you at any age!


The ABC's on keeping your Youthful Glow...


  • Get your beauty rest! The old expression packs a lot of truth. An over strenuous life coupled with little sleep can lead to an increase in blood sugar and high cholesterol. The body needs time to repair itself.
  • Water, water, and more water!
  • If you are starting a new family or advancing in your career I think you can still get away with most styles. The important key fact is that you have to pick a style that fits your life style.
  • Shorter hairstyles can be a trendy new addition to your life. They look sleek, cute, and professional. If you are a 'wash and go' girl sometimes a short haircut and a good product and cut down on time. Although, short hair is a commitment... You must style it everyday!
  • A common misconception- You can't have longer hair when you are older. This is not true. I have many guests that look stunning with longer hair that is shoulder length or just below.  However, you MUST maintain it. Scraggly long hair will make anyone look run down. 
  • Take care of your hair! Hair becomes more coarse and brittle as the years go on and must be trimmed at least every 6 weeks. 
  • As you approach your 40's, 'classic shape' hair styles and face shape are things to keep in mind. Soft layers are always an instant face lift. 
  • Go for color! *Bare in mind, as you age your skin tone changes and your natural color can look too dark or harsh. If you have darker hair try going a shade or two lighter, or highlights. 
  • For all you silver foxes... Grey IS sexy! In fact, this season grey is the new blonde. If you want a change go for highlights to brighten or low lights to add more dimension!
  
 I am my own worst critic and (sometimes) slightly over analytical. It's a challenge everyday to balance that with my 'no worries, be happy' mantra. My best advice is to keep things light and fun. We can't take ourselves too seriously...  stress is poison :)


Thanks for reading! More tips to come!!

Please book an appointment with me at www.urbanitysalon.ca.  

No comments:

Post a Comment